Match a verb from list A with a sentence from B that expresses the meaning of the verb.
- Get across
- Hand over
- Put through
- Look through
- Ask out
- Chew over
- Let down
- Jot down
- Break off
- Let in
- Put off
- Make up
- Take in
- Pick out
- Move around
- I will think carefully about what you told me before deciding what to do.
- Why don´t you invite her to go to the cinema if you like her so much?
- I find it hard to absorb and understand so much data.
- The minister was unable to communicate his policy effectively.
- I’ll just write your phone number on the back of this ticket.
- When I read the negative reviews going to see the film lost its appeal.
- I was relying on you to help me, when you didn’t, I was really disappointed.
- He invents such interesting stories!
- Come with me to the shop and help me choose a present for her.
- See if you can find your passport by searching for it in your suitcases
- Knock seven times on the door and they will permit you to enter.
- The engagement was terminated last week.
- I don’t like where those pictures are on the wall – I’ll put them in a different order.
- The little boy had to return the toy he had taken from the shop.
- When I phoned it took me ages to get connected to the complaints department.
1 – D
2 – N (note that the sense here is to return something you do not own or have obtained illegally)
3 – 0
4 – J
5 – B
6 – A
7 – G
8 – E
9 – L
10 – K
11 – F (note that this is a usually expressed as ‘being put off by something’ – ‘I wanted to buy the watch but the price put me off.
12 – H
13 – C
14 – I
15 – M